Monday, January 19, 2015

Influence

When Bryce first lost his hearing, I had great concern about how he was going to learn the gospel. I also had concern about his academic learning and communication but the thing that bothered me most, was how to include him. How were we going to include him in scripture stories? How would be include him in prayer? I felt this separation and I'm pretty sure he did as well.

We invited the ASL missionaries to our home and asked them to teach us to pray in sign language. I asked my friend Nicole for some of the words and she would made a video of her signing "Heavenly Father" and sent it to me on my phone. We started attending the Fallbrook (deaf) branch and going to a signing class. Little by little, we have made progress.

I still find myself concerned about Bryce. I told his teacher( by the way, she's awesome and goes out of her way to help Bryce succeed) that he doesn't participate in prayer with us. If we ask him to say or copy a prayer, he won't do it. He did it a couple of times but won't do it anymore. She suggested having everyone sign the prayer or copy the person that's signing it. What a great idea!

So, we just implemented this idea. I think he's more shocked right now and still continues to watch. If anything, it certainly reinforces it because no matter where he looks, he'll see someone signing the prayer.

I found a statue of a woman on her knees praying. I showed it to him last night and put it next to another statue I have of a woman praying. I showed him they are praying to Heavenly Father. He can't make a "y" with his fingers so he uses his other hand to bend the fingers to make the y and then shake it to say "the same". It touched me that he recognized this. I was so glad I had purchased this statue and so glad he had taken an interest in it.

I laid by him for a few minutes last night. Usually Matt says their night time prayers with them. I was surprised when Bryce tapped me, got on his knees and made the prayer sign. He didn't copy all of the prayer but did a few words. After a rough couple of days with him, this sweet moment touched me. He is picking up on the little details. He knows prayer is important to me and he's learning it's important to him. I'm thankful for teaching moments but also for those moments when you see that they got it.

No comments: