Brayden appears to have lost more hearing. Bryce's school is AWESOME and they are fully equipped when it comes to working with hearing loss. The last day of school, before the break, I was telling them how we needed an audiogram. (I was at Bryce's class party.) Just like that, they said "bring him over." So, I drove to his school, checked him out and we got an audiogram.
Brayden doesn't hear well enough in his left ear to understand words anymore. His right ear has 20% left. It's been very evident that his hearing loss has progressed. We're in a difficult situation. Bryce wasn't even in school and his hearing loss set him behind his peers, but it was a pretty obvious decision. Brayden has more advanced language. If he jumps into deaf ed, he'll have some set backs because of his lack of ASL. On the other hand, he can only progress so far in a hearing classroom. We're still unsure what course to pursue. I'm working with district specialists but a decision has not been made as to what will happen in the immediate future. Of course if there's complete hearing loss, it will change everything.
We try to sign as much as we can to Brayden to give him that added support. Otherwise, he does a lot of guessing. It's almost like a rhyming game. He hears what sounds like one thing. We've had frustrations bc it seems like he's ignoring you. We finally had to decide to treat him as though he didn't have any hearing because with neuropathy, he doesn't at times.
It was fun to go up for his class party. I got to be a co room Mom and I really enjoyed it. It broke my heart as he had some misunderstanding with one of the games (he's highly competitive) and broke down in tears. Noisy environments are hard because it really prevents him from hearing speech. When we go to restaurants, we really can't talk to him.
Sunday, January 4, 2015
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment