Monday, January 19, 2015

Bryce can be Intense

Thursday I picked Bryce up from school for his CI appointment. He had been twice and it was a week later so we were going for another mapping session. Matt is playing catch up at work so I took the double stroller along with me. Bryce fell asleep in the car so the stroller was very handy as he was asleep when we arrived. Our timing was good and everything seemed to go well. He even woke up when we arrived at the waiting area.

We went to the sound booth and there didn't seem to be responses. I've been skeptical because I really haven't seen anything that's made me feel like he's heard me. It was apparent that there really weren't responses so we went to Dr. Ford's office. She tested the device and the Neptune (the water proof device) appeared to be faulty. It's supposed to beep when it's not attached. This should have been a heads up for us because it didn't do that. So, we've got to send it back. 

She tried programming the other device. Bryce seemed to cooperate but it was short lived. He wanted to run around the room but her cable from the lap top to his device is only so long. I had to restrain him. He tried to bite me and kick me. It was frustrating. When Bryce acts like this, it just drains me on so many levels. 

We finally got finished up and she said to go ahead and come back in two weeks instead of a month bc we had that set back. She said, "Bryce, you're worrying me" when we first went back to her office. Hopefully it was the faulty device and not him. We're still so hopeful it's going to work well. 

We chilled in the lobby for a few minutes while I nursed Brenlee (she had been so patient while we waited) and then we went to the elevators. He did okay but when we got to the parking garage, he tried to bolt into the parking lot. I had to chase him and return him to the stroller a couple of times. We made it to the car and then he hopped up and bolted off. A car could have hit him if one had been coming. 

As we drove home, I saw him in the mirror and was horrified to see him chewing on his CI cable. It was hard to turn around but I used my water bottle to tap his legs. After three times, he stopped chewing it. I do think he gets bored and looks for ways to entertain himself. Unfortunately, he doesn't always make the best choices. 

He was on one that day because when we got home, he was all about irritating his siblings. It's hard when he does this because he can be so loving but when the pestering happens, you forget all about how loving he can be. 

Friday I carried him to the bus (lately he wants to be carried...it's not my favorite as he's a pretty hefty kid) and he kicked the whole way there. As much as I love that boy, I'm thankful for school. It gives us both a break. After school, he was asleep on the bus. When I picked him up, he said, "Mom!" and seemed sweet until he started kicking and throwing a tantrum again. Like most kids, he saves most of his tantrums for me and not as much for other people. I'm glad it's that way but I wish there were less for me. 

I had to carry him in, close the door and let him throw a ten minute tantrum by the door. 

Saturday morning Bryce brought us a broken CI cord. Seriously? He popped the plug off and bare wire was showing. Looks like we get to order a new cable too. So, for now, he's wearing a knee high tied around his head (rambo style) with the clip attached to it. Oh boy! 

Matt's cousin, Caleb, came to visit on Saturday. I visited briefly and then made my escape. We all know Moms (and Dads) need breaks. I needed a big one so Saturday was an all day get away...or pretty close. When I came home that evening, Caleb talked about how Bryce is a sweet, but intense kid. Yes, intense is the word that sums him up. He spoke about his energy. Yes, I know all about it. I need to tap into it somehow. I have to make sure he doesn't zap all my energy so I still have some left for the other kids. 

No comments: