I was delighted to learn that he will receive services from an itinerant. She will help him communicate how well he's hearing or not hearing. She'll help him with some possible sign. She'll help give him the tools to communicate his needs. At this time, they will no longer administer spelling tests for Brayden. While he's above grade level in his reading, his fluency has slowed down as well as comprehension. The AI (or auditory instructional specialist) explained that the same mechanism that controls speech and hearing also controls our speech thoughts. This might explain why Brayden has trouble focusing as well.
He's doing an amazing job in Math and Science. His teacher said she can't say enough good things about his strategies.
It's hard and continues to be hard to see him struggle with these challenges. I'm torn as a Mom because I want to snatch them up, toss them away and make things as they once were. Of course I don't have that kind of power but if I did, I'm pretty sure I would do it. I do find it amazing how both of my boys are handling their challenges. They continue to be an example to me. They are certainly graceful. There's no complaining about it and for the most part, they have great attitudes. At one point Brayden expressed concern about his speech changing. It has started to change. He does an amazing job with his compensating.
I had a sitter lined up for Brenlee but she fell asleep when I went up to help with boxtops (just before the ARD). I decided to go ahead and keep her with me. She's such an amazing baby and such a blessing. She woke up about half way through and just looked around and was chill. :)
I had to excuse myself early b/c I needed to leave in order to get home before Bryce's bus made it. If I miss him, I have to go back to the school to get him.
No comments:
Post a Comment