Saturday, November 8, 2014

Talking to Brayden

After his ABR and Brielle's ABR, I sat Brayden down and showed him the results. I told him that he was losing and would lose his hearing. He said, No! I don't want to." I told him it's not something we have control over. For whatever reason, this is happening. I guess I was surprised that he didn't seem to know he was losing his hearing or that he will have a complete loss.

I asked him about attending Bryce's school. Again, I was surprised. I thought he would feel uncomfortable with his changes but he actually wants to continue at his school. Matt made a good point. He said with all the changes that are happening, he's not so sure he welcomes more. True. He did say maybe he could go to Bryce's school on Mondays and Blackshear the rest of the time. Hahahaha...I told him it didn't work like that.

I've emailed his teachers to ask if they've noticed a change. I've noticed the loss is progressing and they have as well. I asked his language arts teacher if we can sign...finger spell his spelling words as an additional spelling word option. Truly, he has great teachers. She's good with it. I can understand why Brayden doesn't want to change schools and teachers. He has some good ones. He's been there since Kindergarten and that's almost a home away from home.

I'm glad I talked to him because  I've been pushing to get him over to the other school. In my opinion, it would be better for him to start learning more sign language as he undergoes the hearing loss.It would be better for him to get adjusted. He doesn't see it that way. The message I got was he's happy and comfortable at school. (I talked to the AP and she said she checks on him often and he seems very happy.)

The school nurse is amazing. She has stayed on top of everything and helps Brayden daily with his hearing aids. She called me with concern because he didn't pass his vision test with his glasses on. I was surprised because we just saw the opthamologist a few weeks ago and she said his prescription was right on and if anything, he could wear them more casually. I wondered if maybe they were dirty. I cleaned them and she rechecked and sure enough, that had been the problem.

It's hard to see him change but we do know the Lord is in charge. We do know that everything happens for a reason. We do know we are and will grow from these changes. I've thought about how there's the possibility (if the cochlear doesn't work) that he might never hear my voice (or anyone else's voice) again. Then, I take comfort in knowing that he will still be able to feel the spirit. That's a voice, a still small voice, that he can hear.

No comments: