Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Bryce Update: The Waiting Game

I get lots of questions about what's going on with Bryce. Unfortunately, I don't have much new news to report. I got my pediatrician to give us a neurologist referral. We see him on June 17th. The Neuro Ottologist is July 8th.

I have called to make sure we're on a cancellation list. When I talked to the receptionist, she told me to call back periodically. I asked if I would be annoying to call every day. Nope! She said that's fine.

I have been to the KIC (Klein Instructional Center) where they did a screening. Basically, we're waiting to see what the specialists have to say before we do an evaluation. He will qualify for services next year we just don't know what type of services. Will he need speech or ASL? A lot depends on what we find out at our appointments.

In the meantime, Bryce continues to have breath holding spells. I'm keep a medical journal and document them when they happen so we can see the frequency. They tend to be emotionally based. They tend to be more likely to happen if he's tired. If anyone has experienced a 3 year old and their extreme desire for independence and will, you can only imagine how this compounds the problem.

Some of his breath holding spells have been these situations:
-diaper rash (so upset, he holds his breath and passes out)
-wanting me to put his shoes on and when I try to get Brayden to help him, passes out. Apparently I'm the only one he wanted to help him.
-after the dinner prayer, he staggers to the cabinet drawer turning blue. Apparently he wasn't excited about dinner so he was fussing, stopped fussing and was turning blue. That was a pretty scary one. I'm glad he didn't pass out during the prayer and fall.
-locked the pantry to keep him out of it. Passed out.

I have found that like any other tantrum, a distraction can help. He sprayed Brielle with a water bottle that I took away. I just knew he was going to get so upset, he would pass out (it was the end of the day...I just saw it coming). I redirected him with having him help me carry food to the table. I was thankful he didn't pass out.

It's hard because he needs to be disciplined but we don't want him to pass out. It's a fine line we walk with this boy.

He drives his siblings crazy (and sometimes his parents) with his aggressive behaviors. He'll usually apologize but it's hard to believe him when he does it over and over. It really seems to be an attention seeking thing and probably compensation for loss of hearing stimulation.

No comments: